Funding – Trout and Salmon Fishing for Future Generations! In order to maintain its trout and salmon programs, DEEP has established an additional revenue source in the form of a trout & salmon stamp. As with your fishing licenses, all (100%) of the money generated from your purchase of a trout & salmon stamp goes to support Connecticut’s fish and wildlife programs.
WHO NEEDS A TROUT & SALMON STAMP
A trout & salmon stamp is now required for anyone age 16 and older (including those age 65 and over) when:
- Fishing in the designated Trout Management Areas (TMA), Wild Trout Management Areas (WTMA), Trout Parks, and Atlantic Salmon Broodstock areas; or
- Harvesting trout, Kokanee, or Atlantic Salmon.
WHO DOES NOT NEED A TROUT & SALMON STAMP
- Anyone younger than 16 years of age.
- Holders of lifetime fishing licenses issued to persons that are blind, have an intellectually disability, or certain physical disabilities (see page 10 on anglers guide).
- Anyone fishing waters stocked at no expense to the state (waters stocked with trout by another entity, but not stocked by the state).
- If you fish general trout stocked waters in Connecticut (non TMA, WTMA, Trout Park or Atlantic Salmon Broodstock areas) and do not harvest trout, you do not need a stamp.
WHAT’S THE FEE FOR A TROUT & SALMON STAMP
The fee for a trout & salmon stamp is $5.00 ($3.00 for CT residents ages 16 & 17). The stamp is issued for the calendar year and expires on December 31st (just as most fishing licenses).
OBTAINING THE STAMP IS EASY
The trout & salmon stamp can be obtained just as you obtained your fishing license:
- Online at www.ct.gov/deep/fishing or www.ct.gov/ deep/getmyfishinglicense, or
- In person at one of our offices, a town hall that has opted to sell licenses, or at a number of other vendors. For a complete list of vendors, visit the DEEP website or call DEEP Licensing and Revenue (860-424-3105).
There is no physical stamp; when you purchase a Trout & Salmon stamp, a line noting that you have obtained a stamp is added to your license document (if purchasing online, don’t forget to print the updated license).